Monday, 13 May 2013

Is the 11th Doctor actually the 12th?

... on the Fields of Trenzalore, at the fall of the Eleventh, when no creature can speak falsely or fail to answer, a question will be asked — a question that must never ever be answered: "Doctor Who?" - Dorium Maldovar

Whilst I was watching this weeks episode "Nightmare in Silver", I couldn't help but do a bit of a double-take during one of the sequences. Now, I realise that there are spoilers out there due to american dvd's being released early, and I've avoided that like the plague, but I'd like to cover my own theory on something.

The theory being that Matt Smith isn't the 11th Doctor, but actually the 12th.

Now, the reason I even consider that is a sequence that stood out in "Nightmare in Silver" where the Doctor and Cyber-Doctor see the previous forms of the Doctor inside his mind. They cycle through in sequence until the 11th Doctor is meant to appear - instead you see a "regeneration effect" and then after that you see Matt Smith's Doctor.


The part in question I can't find a picture of online, but it
happens just after this and...
...before this.
I almost did a double-take when I saw it and thought maybe I'd imagined it. Replaying the sequence though, it really stood out that this "regeneration effect" was added into the timeline of the Doctors and made a convenient gap between Tennant and Smith.

Now, it has been discussed that the prophecy in question about the "Fall of the 11th" is referring to Matt Smith's Doctor, but what if he is actually the 12th? That for some reason he isn't aware of the 11th Doctor. Could the fall of the 11th refer to this mysterious 11th Doctor?

Now, when I looked at this sequence and started to run through my idea I remembered back to Matt Smiths first proper Doctor episode "The Eleventh Hour" in which we saw a similar sequence of all previous incarnations play out. But interestingly when the 11th Doctor would have appeared in order, Matt Smiths Doctor walks through the image. At the time, I thought that was for effect, but what if he walked through when the face of the actual 11th Doctor should have appeared?
See what I mean? Could the 12th have walked through
the image of the actual 11th?
Anyway, that's just one guys theory. If I'm right, I figured it out before the final episode of the Season, but after the Americans already knew! If I'm wrong, at least I had a theory of my own!! I'm looking forward to the end of this series and have really enjoyed it so far - although I would love more two-parters than the standalone episodes. Whilst that worked well for Star Trek, I can't help but feel Doctor Who benefited from two-parters - nothing like being left on the edge of your seat for an evening!

1 comment:

  1. Dude! Your prediction was so close!

    http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/doctor-who-christmas-spoilers-matt-2847509

    ReplyDelete